Monday, May 26, 2014

The World's Most Succesful Tweet?


The other day I was telling my wife about the Oreo Superbowl tweet. You remember my wife. She doesn't work in advertising, and though she is incredibly supportive she often doesn't understand what the fuss is about. 
But back to the Oreo tweet. You know the one. It happened last year with the blackout half way through the Superbowl game and Oreo, quick as a flash, tweeted “You can still dunk in the dark”.


I asked her what she thought. She said she thought it was sweet but sounded like something unnecessary I’d said when we had the blackout because of the storm, though I hadn’t been talking about dunking cookies.
I asked if she’d seen it before.
 “Don’t be silly. I’m not on Twitter. You know that. Is anyone apart from that Matt Galloway?” (She likes Metro Morning).
“Well actually 19.7% of Canadians are on Twitter.”
"And how many follow Oreo?" (She knows more than she lets on).
"About 5000 at the time."
“Doesn’t sound that much to me.”
“Well the big thing is the number of people who shared it with their friends.”
“Well how many?”
“Over 15,000.”
“So how many people saw this ad?”
“And how many people saw the Superbowl?”
“About 108 million in the US plus another 7 in Canada .”
“So nearly 40 times more people saw that nice Budweiser ad with the horses than your silly tweet. Am I supposed to be impressed?”
I decided more wine was needed.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Sounds like your wife would like the Ad Contrarian... :)

http://adcontrarian.blogspot.jp

Colin Flint said...

Thanks Peter. I'm not sure she's that interested but I liked it. She certainly thinks there isn't much stuff that makes her laugh or cry.